|New front-late 40's|
|Lighted Nativity- HUMC 2004|
|The stained glass windows were added to the sanctuary in later years.. They were completely installed by September 29, 1999. The windows were designed and made by Sophie Havard and Pat Loving. The patterns were selected that represented the church and that related to the church family. The windows were dedicated November 7, 1999. The large cross overlooks the entrance to the sanctuary and is illuminated at night. The other windows include the Dove, the Trinity, the Shepherd, the Angel, the Lily, Communion, Chi Rho, and IHS. These are set in ovals with an arch at the top of each window and a small cross at the bottom of each. The red signifies the blood of Christ; white represents innocence and purity, the hue of God; gold stands for power and glory, the gates of Heaven; blue signifies hope, sincerity and piety, the color of the Virgin Mary.|
| * In 1839 a group of people met in the home of Dr. Brown (Mrs. Katie Brown) for the purpose of organizing a Methodist church. Dr. Brown was then a member of the Church of England. Mr. Denman, a neighbor, was also present. For about a year the group met in the homes of various members for worship. They secured a residence from Mr. Steed and used it for a church building. Dr. Brown was the great-grandmother of Mrs. Beulah Griffith, a long-time member of Homer.
In 1866, the first church building in Angelina County, a Methodist church, was built in Homer. The lumber was hand-planed, the first planed lumber used in this section. It was cut by the Dr. Manning mill, the first sawmill in the county. The building was used by other denominations as a place of worship when not in use by the Methodist congregation. It was sold to the Church of Christ in 1900 for $100.
After the court house burned, a building was erected on its site. This structure was used as a place of worship, a school, and the meeting place for the Woodmen. The Methodists had Sunday afternoon services in the building and for a short time they met in the Church of Christ building.
| During this period of time, the first church school in Homer was organized in the home of Uncle John Thompson.
In the 1920's the building, no longer used by the school or the Woodmen, became a permanent place of worship for the Methodists. It was during this era that such men as Uncle John Thompson, Bro. A. Terry (a local preacher), Foster Selman, M.K. Ament and Bill Nerren worked faithfully for the growth of the church.
In 1930, the trustees, C.P. Thomas, M.K. Ament, and Bill Nerren secured the old court house square from the commissioners court as Methodist church property. Using some of the lumber from the old Woodman Hall, a Methodist church was erected on the site. The Texas conference gave $75.00 to help finance the construction of the building. Rev. Joe B. Wells was the pastor during this time.
The present church buildings were begun in March, 1966 with the Education building being built first, followed by the sanctuary, and lastly the Fellowship Hall. All construction was completed by 1967. A dedication service was held September 22, 1968 under the direction of
Robert W. Dupree, pastor.
|*...from the Dedication Service program, "We present this building to be dedicated to the Glory of God and the service of men. It shall be called the Homer Methodist Church."|
|"Christ in Gethsemane" is a stained-glass medallion. It was completed in November, 2005 by Pat Loving and her daughter, Sophie Havard. The medallion was given in memory of Jetty Loving, son of Robert and Pat Loving. The medallion hangs above the cross at the front of the sanctuary. It has given much comfort and inspiration to those that worship here.|